RSS

In Focus: The Centurion (Luke 7:1-10)

Frontline Student Ministries Filed Under: Labels: , , ,
What is it about Jesus that people saw or knew when He walked the earth. I mean don't get me wrong, I read the Gospels and I am floored at the life and teaching of the One in whom my hope is placed. The thing is, when I read the story of Jesus and the centurion in Luke 7, I realize that something is seriously wrong with my idea of my relationship with Jesus Christ. Before you jump on the bandwagon to beat me down, you might want to look at this passage again. There is more to it than the faith of the centurion.

Look at this verse...

"[Jesus] was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: "Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you."

This is a centurion talking to a humble rabbi as we look at it on the surface. I light of the political situation of the day, the words he just spoke make no sense. Unless, of course, there is something more to Jesus than just mere good teaching and a small following. A centurion was more than well respected. He commanded 100 men in the military of one of the finest military that walked the planet. He was a man that the locals looked to for leadership. When he spoke people moved...and moved quickly. Yet he knew that he was not even worthy to be in the presence of Jesus. and even more so to have Jesus in His home. He recognized the power in Jesus. He recognized the authority in Jesus and he responded accordingly.

Why is it that our response to Jesus all too often is that He is the one who is lucky that we have chosen to follow Him?

Don't we realize that while we do have access to Him at all times, He is God?!?

I'm not saying we cower in fear and shy away from ever seeking His presence. Instead, when we do...take some time to recognize that there is nothing about us that deserves to be there. We are only there because of His overwhelming love and mercy.

Today isn't as much of a devo as it is a realization for me. My friend once told me that true worship is "understanding who I am, understanding who God is, and then responding accordingly." I haven't done that nearly enough and not in the way this centurion did.

Lord help me to worship you with proper understanding.


| edit post

0 Responses to "In Focus: The Centurion (Luke 7:1-10)"