RSS

In Focus: Substance of Things Not Seen (Hebrews 11:1)

Frontline Student Ministries Filed Under: Labels: , , ,
LinkOn Saturday evening, I exercised a great deal of faith. Not just my faith in God but I showed a great amount of faith in other people, technology, education, and more. I got on a plane.

OK so that seems like such a simplistic view but really, look at it.

To simply get on a plane takes faith in so many things. Aside from those who have really studied this stuff, there are very few who understand completely the science that allows a jet that can weigh over 108,000 pounds when full to drive to the end of a paved surface and lift off into the sky1. Oh and that is just the little 737 jet. The big brother 787-9 can take off with a weight of 580,000+ pounds.

Not only do we barely know the science that enables these massive beasts to lift off into the air, very few of us know the pilots, the engineers, the crew, the maintenance technicians, or anyone that really had anything to do with putting that aircraft together. No one, I presume, asked to see the maintenance logs before boarding their plane.

Yet I still got on the plane.

I exercised a great deal of faith in what I knew to be true. I have seen a plane go up in the air before though I can't quote you the exact reasons why (except by visiting wikipedia ;-) I have faith in Delta's organization that they prepare the planes correctly and that they have qualified professionals overseeing what is going on. I have faith that the people who have gone before us to ensure our safety have done a great job. Those who refuse to fly still exercise faith each time you drive across a bridge, walk upstairs, and even turn on a light.

On this trip my faith was well founded and it strengthened as we landed on the conclusion of yet another amazing journey.

Hebrews 11:1 says "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."

I look to the object of our faith spiritually. God. In this passage, the writer of Hebrews says that it is impossible to please God without faith. In order to come to Him we must first have faith that He exists. This is not a blind faith at all. In fact there are infinite examples of God's presence all around us from the order of creation, the moral law, the life of Jesus Christ, the revelation of Himself through His Word, the testimony of those who have a relationship with Him.

Yet we find faith in God difficult to come by.

Why is that? Has your faith been strengthened recently? Why or Why Not?

| edit post

0 Responses to "In Focus: Substance of Things Not Seen (Hebrews 11:1)"